Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Learning to say "I'm Sorry"

Recently, I've struggled with strong emotions relating to mistakes I've made in my past. I've hurt people I cared for very deeply, and some of those relationships were ruined as a result.

The very worst part is, it was never intentional.

Through my tears I have asked "why?" many times, asking the Lord why I am suddenly having this influx of painful flashbacks.

I have noticed, especially in the past week, that I have been a lot quicker to say "I'm sorry" to my husband when I speak to him in a disrespectful manner. Not 100% of the time; not always immediately; but it is happening more frequently.

Ideally, I will soon learn to take more control over my tone of voice and my mood/emotions so I can preemptively avoid speaking to him that way, period. But the apologies and awareness of this weakness are definitely a step in the right direction!

And if learning to speak more respectfully to those I love is the only reason that God is allowing me to experience these painful memories, then more glory to Him and I'll accept it.

1 comment:

  1. That's a pretty amazing lesson. :-) I seriously need to work on my tone and facial expressions, but the actual "I'm sorry" is a huge first step! I'm so proud of you, friend.

    ReplyDelete