Thursday, May 24, 2012

Recipe: Italian Turkey Meatballs

Tonight I made a delicious recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Parmesian Orzo with Meatballs.

As much as I love the recipes in this book, they often call for pre-packaged or frozen ingredients.  For economical as well as health reasons, I prefer to make things fresh and from scratch.  So when the recipe called for a bag of frozen meatballs, I set out to figure out how to make them!

I found this recipe and altered it according to what I have, as well as what I preferred.

I will have to add photos of the preparation process in the future, as I got too busy and forgot to take them!

But here's the finished product:


And here are the meatballs with the Parmesian Orzo.


...and the recipe!

You will need:
1 lb ground turkey
2 T Italian seasoning
1 T Basil
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 T milk
2 mozzarella cheese sticks

Combine all ingredients except the cheese sticks in a medium bowl.  Cut the cheese sticks into rounds about 1" long (about 15 per stick).  Use a soup-sized spoon to portion out amounts of meat--about 1 T each, maybe a little more, eyeball it!  They should be roughly the size of a ping pong ball. Put 1 piece of cut cheese into the meat and roll it into a ball.  Place each ball onto a greased cookie sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Makes about 30 meatballs.

These came out very juicy and delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment