Monday, May 7, 2012

Meal Idea: Homemade Chili & Cornbread

As I learn more and more about cooking and food, naturally I want to try and create some of my own recipes. So today, I decided to experiment with chili!

A day like this... definitely calls for such a hearty, hot meal.  What a chilly start to May! (no pun intended :D )


Ingredients:
1 15-oz can each of Pinto beans, black beans, kidney beans, and great northern beans.
1 28-oz can organic fire-roasted tomatoes, diced, with liquid
half of a yellow onion, diced
4-5 garlic cloves, diced
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 TBSP chili powder
1 cup of water (based on cook time of 4-5 hours)

Throw it all in a crock pot on high for 4-5 hours.  If you need it to cook longer, add some extra water, based on the consistency you prefer your chili.

This is the oh-so-delicious result:


This chili, as I prepared it today, is "kid-friendly".  It wasn't at all spicy, but it was VERY flavorful!  I'm going to attempt to give it some more "kick" next time. :)

I also made homemade cornbread!  I got the recipe here, but for your convenience I will repost it.  I just want to give credit where it is due!

1 cup of corn meal
1 cup of flour
2-4 TBSP sugar (I used 2 and it was perfect!)
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil (I used canola)

whisk the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl.  In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, milk and oil.  Then add the wet mixture to the dry and stir together until JUST combined.  Then pour into a 9x9 baking dish.  Bake at 425 for 15-20 mins or until a golden brown.  Tastes great plain OR with a bit of butter!


This is the perfect meal for a late spring stormy day or in the fall/winter!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm...chili & cornbread is the perfect snowy day food! If only there weren't so many beans involved... ;-)

    The cornbread looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha well, it could be tweaked :D I happen to love beans, as you know, and they're a great source of protein for my husband who likes to remind me how much he needs it. lol. It was so yummy though!

    ReplyDelete