Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Idea: Need Input!

Today as I was driving home I had an idea for a potential side business.

During the day at work, many people get hungry and order in food for lunch, or go out to eat.  Often times these meals aren't very healthy, and certainly not as delicious as home-cooked food.  Even the healthier options can be quite costly.
People also don't always have the time and energy to put together a delicious, nutritious, homemade meal for lunch at work the next day.

What if there was an option for a healthy, homemade meal to be delivered to you?

This meal might be something hot, fresh-cooked.  Or it could be a more traditional lunch, consisting of a sandwich and side items, for instance.

The ingredients would be homemade, organic, and/or all-natural.  The food would of course taste delicious and have the healthiness of eating at home.

I haven't done the cost research yet, but the goal is to find a way to prepare these meals that is a good value to the customer--not too expensive, but enough to cover food costs and the expense of delivery with a small profit.

I also had the idea that this might be lucrative for dinner as well!  Sometimes families are in a hurry or don't have much time or energy, but they don't want to succumb to eating out or ordering in constantly--these are not the healthiest options.  What if they could order a truly homecooked meal to be delivered?

And this wouldn't just benefit families... I personally have single friends who aren't very adept at cooking, and/or are too tired at the end of a long work day to prepare something very desirable that doesn't just go in the microwave.

Having been told repeatedly how delicious my food is, I know I could provide quality food.  I also have ideas as to how to make this work logistically. But to begin with, I want to know if people would be interested! I want to know others' thoughts on types of foods that would appeal to them in this format.  And any other thoughts that might arise!

Please respond, and feel free to share this idea with others so I can get some input! Thank you! :)


5 comments:

  1. I think that sounds like a great idea. You might want to throw together a basic menu to help you gauge what the cost might be. Also, you could save money by buying from the farmers markets in town. Also, you might want to start with a small delivery area. Say something similar to the certain sandwich shop that shall not be named.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thanks Chris :D Your ideas are pretty much bang on with what I was thinking. I get my produce at Sunflower, where it's both natural and cheap. :) I was thinking of constructing a basic menu-I have one for "cold" lunches thanks to Adam, and plan on making advance menus for hot dinners because I can't just custom make what people want last minute. And I definitely agree I can only deliver so far, especially being a one-person show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the idea! I would definitely utilize a service like that if the price was reasonable! I've never done any research on the subject, but since you would be making the food yourself, then selling it...does your kitchen have to meet health codes? Would you need to have inspections and such? I really have no idea, but that would be my main concern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think initially it won't matter, especially since right now it's just 1-2 friends who are interested. If it gets much beyond that, then legally I'd have to do that, and that's definitely not feasible in our apartment. So this is something that will stay pretty dang small until I have a house of my own with more space and control over the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that the 'food industry' is considered 'high risk' as far as investing. If you start small, and build up a base it COULD work out, but you'd have to be careful to watch your expenses so you don't wind up losing money.
    I knew a company that did something similar, but they've closed. :-( They may not have advertised enough, the food was great but too pricey for my usual budget. and that's the risk, that the time+expense of buying cooking and delivery will mean charging too much per meal.
    Research research research! You can do it, if you KNOW what your doing.

    ReplyDelete